We have had a very scary few days, and we pray that I have not had or am not in the stages of having a miscarriage.
It started Thursday evening when I met Tony at Fox & Hound Bar/Restaurant for a happy hour with his former co-workers from GXT. There are a handful of ladies that he used to work with that we know pretty well, one he works with now, Graeme. I was excited to see them again, and to share the news of being pregnant. Graeme knew, but she hadn't told the other ladies in the group.
Earlier, in the late afternoon it got very uncomfortable and I thought it was a bad case of gas, which is common for me now, so I took some medicine for that and tried to feel better. After we had been at the happy hour for about an hour, I was still very uncomfortable. Then I went to the bathroom to find that I had been bleeding. It was a lot and it shocked me! As I tried to clean up I passed a blood clot and that scared me even more! As fast as I could I went to Tony, told him I was bleeding badly and that we had to leave right them. We made a very quick exit, fortunately avoiding anyone we knew. On the way to the car I called Angela, scared and shaking, and asked her what to do.
She told me to call the doctors emergency number, of course it was already after hours on a holiday weekend, so I would have to wait for a call back. I called the answering service as we drove to West Houston Medical Center Emergency Room. Still not hearing back from the nurse of call, I called Angela back and Courtney suggested that I not go to the emergency room because I would probably be more stressed and upset sitting around there then going to a medical clinic or just going home. So we opted for home.
On the way home, it had been 30 minutes and I still hadn't received a call back, so I called the answering service again. When we got home I got upstairs, cleaned up and got in bed. By this time it had been about 45 minutes and I finally got the call from the nurse. I think her name was Brenda. I told her what happened and that I was already laying down. She told me that what they recommend is for me to stay off my feet the rest of the weekend, but if the bleeding got worse, and was more than a normal period, then I should go to the hospital. And of course, they will probably be calling me, but for me to call the doctor first thing on Monday.
Thursday night I slept with my feet elevated and the bleeding did slow down greatly. Over the next couple of days it has reduced to spotting I see only when I go to the bathroom. This is a good thing!
Right now I am sitting on my chase, the only place I have been other than the bed and the couch in the movie room. I haven't been downstairs since we came home on Thursday night. I only get up to go to the bathroom or from the bed to couch and back. I have tried to stay in a laying down or reclining position but at this point my entire back hurts, my hips hurt, my neck hurts, my shoulders hurt, and nowhere is comfortable. Although I am miserable, I know I am doing what's best for me and the baby.
Thank God for Tony!! He took off work on Friday to stay home with me. He went and got my computer from my office, went to the store and has been doing all the cooking and taking care of the dogs. I am sure he is tired of it by now as well, but he doesn't let it show. We are probably thinking the same thing....hoping that I don't have any more times when I have to be on bed rest!!
From what I have read and people I have talked to, what I am experiencing is fairly normal. Many women do bleed in the amount of what would be a period for them while they are in early stages of pregnancy. I have heard that it is your body doing one last clean out of your uterus before the baby starts getting bigger and taking up all that space. Angela had a difficult pregnancy in this way, she had several times when she had to get bed rest for a day or two due to bleeding, and Turner came out perfectly healthy. My neighbor Kim also knew a woman who works for her that started bleeding heavily, and thought she was having a miscarriage but it turns out everything was fine. Kim herself also had similar issues with her last baby, and everything turned out fine.
In my heart I don't feel like I have had a miscarriage, but my mind won't let me forget the possibility of one. I don't think I have lost or am losing the baby, but at the same time, I am trying to be prepared for what may happen tomorrow. I will be extremely happy or devastated, and although I want to believe everything is fine, I can't let myself think that and be shocked if it isn't.
I am just praying that we can go to the doctor tomorrow, get an ultrasound and see that little peanut again...and see that heart beating strong! Just the thought of it brings me to tears! That would be my own personal Easter Miracle!
Today I wish we could go see our families...I will miss seeing them, sharing happy news and having great food! Realistically though, today my biggest action will be just to take a shower!!
From the website...developement update on the baby....
Your baby’s fluttering heart would show up on an ultrasound performed this week. He or she is between 0.56 and 0.8 inches from crown to rump - or about the size of a grape - its liver is churning out large amounts of red blood cells, and will continue to until the bone marrow forms and takes over this function. Week eight marks the beginning of a very busy developmental stage: its face continues to change as the ears, eyes and the tip of the nose appear; the intestines start to form in the umbilical cord; and your baby's teeth begin to develop under the gums.
11 years ago

No comments:
Post a Comment