We went in to see the doctor this morning after the long weekend of worry and everything is okay!! I was so nervous to be there and SO relieved when we saw the baby and the heart beating strong! I was very concerned that something would be wrong, but we are okay!
I have a condition, somewhat of a deformity, my uterus is shaped like a heart. This happened when I was my mom's womb developing, girls have two sides that fuse together to form the uterus, and mine just didn't fuse all the way at the top. This condition obviously has no affect on my ability to get pregnant, but it can cause some slight complications in early pregnancy.
The cause of all the bleeding is the side of the uterus the baby is not on. If you picture a heart, the baby is up in one side, and the bleeding is coming from up in the other side. It's kind of like half of my uterus knows I'm pregnant and the other half doesn't, so its building up and sloughing off as usual. Dr. Cone says that I will probably bleed more until the baby gets big enough to take up my entire uterus, which is at about 14 weeks. When this happens, the baby will also push out the dent that makes the heart shape and my uterus will round out as the baby grows.
So now we understand what happened and what can happen in the next several weeks. But Dr. Cone will also monitor things closely and any bleeding will be checked out to make sure its this condition causing it and not something else. He won't assume that just because I am bleeding, its due to my uterus shape. We will check it each time it happens again.
For now, barring any change or more bleeding, our next appointment is scheduled for Monday, April 19 (yes, our anniversary). At that point I will be 10 weeks and if all is well, I should be pretty much out of the woods as far as my chance of miscarriage. Making it past the 9 week mark successfully is a big step and by week 10 the baby is officially a fetus and no longer an embryo! Baby steps......
11 years ago

No comments:
Post a Comment